Applications for FY2018
The Halifax Cultural Council is now accepting applications for the Council's Fiscal Year 2018 grant cycle. All applications must be submitted to the Halifax Cultural Council, 499 Plymouth Street, Halifax, MA 02338 no later than Monday, October 16. Grant applications and other information are available on the Council's web site: http://www.town.halifax.ma.us/Pages/HalifaxMA_Bcomm/Cultural/index or applicants can apply on-line at https://www.mass-culture.org/Halifax (click on the "Apply Now" tab) - This year, the Council's priorities include an emphasis on events in Halifax, but not just in the "municipal center", programs related to nature, science, environmental education and the Town's history, programs for seniors, library patrons, and teens, and programs involving artists and speakers from Halifax. Applicants can obtain more information through the Halifax Board of Selectmen's office at 781-294-1316.
The Cultural Council awards grants on an annual basis, generally in the late fall/early winter of each year. The amount of funding available is dependent on the amount received from the Massachusetts Cultural Council each year. The application process has become more competitive and it is recommended that grant applicants work with Halifax organizations especially if the grant will be for an event in Halifax. The Halifax Cultural Council's priorities for the FY2017 grant cycle are as follows:
• Note that no one application will cover all these priorities, but that applications that meet more than one will be preferred.
• There is an emphasis for programs that occur in Halifax or have particular benefits to Halifax residents.
• There is an emphasis for programs that are part of Town-wide celebrations such as Halifax in Lights and Holidays in Halifax.
• There is an emphasis for programs that are directed to seniors, library patrons and teens.
• There is an emphasis for programs that involve the Town's history.
• There is an emphasis for programs in nature, science, and environmental education.
• There is an emphasis for programs that involve artists and speakers from Halifax.
• There is an emphasis for programs that occur in Halifax, but not in the "municipal center".
• There is an emphasis for programs that publicize their events in media specific to Halifax whether or not the program occurs in Halifax - previous grantees should provide proof that the events were publicized in local media and/or the Town's web site.
In addition, applicants should include information as to how they will publicize any event covered by the grant application so that residents in Halifax are aware of the event.
The Halifax Cultural Council does not host performances, but there are several Halifax municipal departments and committes that do. Applicants can contact them before making an application seeking sponsorship or else successful applicants can contact them to arrange a performance.
Links to departments/committee that host events:
Duties & Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Halifax Cultural Council is the distribution, once each year, of the Town's allocation of lottery proceeds devoted to arts and cultural programs. All applications for the next cycle must be postmarked no later than October 16, 2017.
Successful applicants should send invoices, reimbursement forms, and associated background material (publicity of event, etc.) to the Halifax Cultural Council, Halifax Town Hall, 499 Plymouth Street, Halifax, MA 02338.